Sunday, August 9, 2009

Closed for Repairs

Today I was reminded of the reason we have families.

It's a well-known saying that friends come and go. In my life, that seems to be an understatement. For some reason, I have never had a "best friend." Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of friends that I've been really close to. In fact, I can't count the number of times I've considered someone to be my best friend, but the feeling never seems to be mutual. After a while they find someone new and decide they don't need me anymore, regardless of whether or not I still need them. So today as I was thinking of an old "best friend" and sincerely missing her company, I came to the realization that that is why God gave us families; because not everybody can have a best friend at all times. It was a reaffirmation of something I already knew, but something I needed to rediscover. Friends may come and go, but my family will always be there. Even when we're in different parts of the state or the world, my family is an anchor that never floats away.

I read a great piece of advice in a magazine article just a little while ago. It said, "Never burn bridges. Just close them down for repairs for a while." I love that thought. I am still very grateful for and love all the friends I've had in my life who have helped to shape me into who I am, even if they have gone a different way for now. I hope that our paths can cross again someday. As for the friend I was thinking about today, I just wish that the construction on our bridge can be over soon, because I don't want to watch anything burn. I love you.

"And all the things that break you,
Are the things that make you strong!
You can't change the past,
Cause it's gone.
And you just gotta move on,
Because it's all
Lessons learned."
-Carrie Underwood (Lessons Learned)

1 comments:

Totohiro said...

Annnnnd, I was gonna comment on this one too. Had something to say, but I've forgotten. I like this though, very true.