Last night I decided to tag along with my older brother and a couple of his friends who were going to go see the new Disney/Pixar movie, Up. Let me just say that it was nothing like I expected it to be. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting out of it--I guess something along the lines of Cars or Toy Story--but what it ended up being was so much more. I think I can sincerely say that it was the single best movie I have ever watched in my entire life. It was a beautiful story that contained such a deep message that has left me contemplating the complexities of the universe for more that 24 hours.
The movie is a story about an old man who promised his wife when they were just little kids that he would one day take her to Paradise Falls in South America. They try for years and years to get there, but one thing after another keeps them from being able to afford the expensive journey. When his wife dies, the old man's last wish is to be able to fulfill the promise he made to her when they were just kids together, so he fills up hundreds, maybe thousands of helium balloons attached to his house and floats to South America. Their story ended up being one of the most beautiful and compelling love stories I have ever seen or heard. I want to be just like them when I'm old. Actually, my whole life. I hope I can someday have a marriage as beautiful as theirs. The majority of this part is done with little or no words.
Okay, so making your house float with helium balloons may sound goofy and the movie was quite humorous, but the deep love this couple had for each other was so touching. It portrayed their life together with such simplicity and romance. I am doing a horrible job at describing the immense emotion and affection that was shown between these two. I'm not going to lie, I cried a couple times. Even the small things like the mailbox showed how much he loved her and wanted more than anything just to make her happy. And she was. She was happy with their simple lifestyle and the small adventures they had together brought her more joy than going to South America ever could. That was the message of this movie: enjoying the small things.
My favorite line from the whole movie came from the little wilderness explorer boy, Russell. He is telling Carl (the old man) about how his father used to take him to an ice cream parlor where they would sit on the curb and count cars. Russell would count the blue ones and his dad would count the red ones and whoever counted the most won. He says, "It may just sound boring to you, but for some reason, the boring stuff is what I remember most."
The boring stuff.
That line really made me think. Most of my fondest memories aren't big events or vacations; they're the simple, boring, everyday things. Playing goofy games with my family. Watching baseball with my dad. Talks with my mom at the bottom of the stairs till midnight. The dumb jokes my family tells. Playing house with my sister. Listening to my older brother spill his brains on any topic you bring up. Finally discovering that Grandma always won at hearts and rook because she cheated, and learning how to cheat back. The list could go on and on. That was the message I got from the movie. The small things, ultimately, end up being our biggest adventure.
"Appreciate the little things, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."
Thank you, Pixar, for creating a wholesome movie that makes me think.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
UP
Brought to you by Rachel Nell
Labels: Life, Reviews, Things I Love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment