Friday, December 31, 2010

I Actually Had to Dream of a White Christmas

As members of the LDS faith, we share a belief with many other Christians  that Jesus Christ was actually born in the springtime (April, specifically), and not in the dead of winter like we celebrate. I've heard that Christmas in December has something to do with ancient Pagan rituals and some king wanting to give Christians something un-blasphemous to do, etcetera, etcetera... But I think the REAL reason someone decided to celebrate the birth of Christ at the end of December is because winter needed a little light and joy. And oh how grateful I am to whoever made that decision! Christmas could not have come at a more perfect time this year.

After an extremely stressful semester and an extra few days of work to top it all off, I was nothing short of ecstatic to be home for the holidays. I honestly could have gotten dirt for Christmas and still have been perfectly satisfied. This Christmas, all I wanted was my home and my family and a break from the hectic life of work and school, and that's exactly what I got. My dad and the boys were off of school, Hilary and Brian were spending some time living in my parents' house while they were in-between places and Trevor and Sherstin stayed in Farmington for the holidays, meaning I got my whole family around me at nearly all times. We had the rockinest family Christmas party of all time with my mom's family (Seriously though. It was legendary.), we played lots of games, ate lots of food, made new ornaments for our over-sized Charlie Brown tree, and just enjoyed being together. I even got a bonus of being able to spend a lot of time with my best friend who is finally back in my life after two long years and his family. I didn't even mind that for the first time in my life (that I can remember anyway), the only snow on the ground was the occasional un-melted dirty black mound in a parking lot or on the side of the road. I didn't need a white Christmas--the amount of loving going on filled that void.

I will spare you the details of my winter break (at least for now) and simply state that I had one of the most wonderful and magical Christmases of my life. I probably would have (at least) come close to quitting work and school and life and resorting to being a bum for the rest of my life if it hadn't been for the perfect timing of Christmas. So thank you, Mr. King-man who put Christmas in December to show those dirty Pagans who's boss, you have made my winter a lot less bleak.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's been decided that blogger really needs to get a "like" button! But Rach, I think you should still quit your job and school and we can be bums and live in a box together... we could even build a castle out of boxes! Doesn't that sound enjoyable?

Scott and Tara Pearce said...

It was the best that I remember and I think you said it beautifully. Family is what it is all about. I love you!!