Saturday, November 27, 2010

Missing in Action

Sometimes--a lot of times--life gets crazy. And sometimes when life gets especially crazy and busy, I forget to take time for myself. My whole life lately has been devoted to school and work and everything else that goes along with that. Obviously, I have been missing from the blogging world lately. Now, I don't know what my excuse for summer was because all I did was sit on my butt for six weeks after I had surgery, but it has been quite a while since I have had a significant blog post. So here is a quick synopsis of my life as of late:


Summer
My summer was spent having and then recovering from re-constructive plastic surgery to fix my nose that I broke when I was about seven. The doctor reconstructed my nose to improve functionality (I couldn't breathe out of my nose for several years prior to surgery) and to bring it back to what it would have looked like if I had never broken it. It was probably the most painful experience of my life. I felt (and looked) like I had been hit by a truck. Want to watch what they did to me? Click here to watch the video of my surgery. I wouldn't recommend watching if you have a weak stomach. (The actual surgery lasted about an hour and a half. I'm just glad I was asleep for the whole thing.) I had black eyes for a couple of weeks, was miserable for a couple more, and took the full six weeks to recover fully. It will take a whole year for my nose to fully finish adjusting to the surgery.


Fall, Part One: Work
I got hired at the end of the school year to be an RA (resident assistant) for USU housing this year. I moved back up to school two weeks early for training. I was in training or working for 10 to 12 hours every day for nearly the full two weeks. Pretty much I hated my life. The job is going well and I'm finally figuring out how not to let it run my life. Living where I work has its advantages, but it also gets really hard. Luckily I've made some awesome new friends this year who provide a good means of escape. 

I have my name on my door. I'm so official.

 Fall, Part Two: School
I have been officially accepted into the Emma Eccles Jones School of Teacher Education and Leadership, changed my major to Early Childhood and Elementary Education Composite major (previously it was just elementary K-6), and will finally start the program in the spring. I am doing math and ESL (English as a Second Language) endorsements. I'm done with math and I'm  taking my first ESL class this semester which I absolutely love! Yes, I am taking on a lot with basically a dual major/dual minor, but I'm happy with it. It's a good thing I love school because I'm going to be in college for a long time!


Fall, Part Three: Fun!
College wouldn't be college without a little fun. Granted, I haven't had a lot of spare time this semester, but I still find ways to keep myself entertained. My best friends definitely help with that! Justin is also an RA and keeps me from quitting my job, my roommate Angie keeps me from murdering the rest, and Ellis keeps me laughing. 
This semester I have...


 gone fishing for the first time in my life (thanks to Ellis),
I caught one! Too bad it was a smart fish and broke free...


played with Angie in Shelley, ID (where she's from) and spent fall break shooting terrorists, warming up at Lava Hot Springs, riding four-wheelers through spud farms, eating way too much chocolate, visiting the Idaho Falls Temple, cruising around town in a big truck, and learning how to make funnel cakes,
Me and Angie on our way to Idaho


got caught in several rain storms and was reminded of how terrible our football team is,
Roommate Melanie, Me, Brady, Roommate Angie


enjoyed the fall colors and the beautiful mountains,
Logan City Cemetery


come up with the worst possible clashing of colors and patterns,
I tie-dyed that apron myself. I'm that cool.

welcomed  in the arrival of basketball season,
Our homemade game-day tutus

had a police officer show me what marijuana smells like, used a fire extinguisher, witnessed and helped monitor a hilarious week of campus-wide Human vs. Zombies, pulled a series of harmless pranks, sang the National Anthem at a basketball game (and no, I will not post the video), made new friends, got an old one back, and much more.


Go Aggies!

2 comments:

cole linnae said...

a cop had to show you what marijuanna smelled like..
bless. your. heart.


iloveyou

Kami said...

Rach, I can't believe your nose job is on YouTube! I of course had to watch the whole thing out of curiosity (I've always wondered how they do those!) But, I'll say that I could NOT be a surgeon--wow! No wonder you were in so much pain! You look great though!